This site has been archived. Please visit help.fulcrumapp.com for our new support documentation and contact information.

External Bluetooth Device Compatibility

Rob

13 Sep, 2016 09:18 PM

We have been using Fulcrum and android tablets everyday to collect data in the field. We also always collect data additional data using other Bluetooth enabled devices for specific readings and measurements.

I would like to see a field that listens for Bluetooth data and transmits it from the Bluetooth device to the android tablet (when paired). The ability to parse or chop up this data for entry into specific fields would be a game changer for us. Right now we're exporting data and merge spreadsheets on a daily basis and it can be quite cumbersome.

1. 1 Posted by waiotahi on 14 Sep, 2016 02:27 AM

We too would like the ability to connect to BT (BTLE) device and receive the data from that device. We currently collect a record in Fulcrum where we have a hyperlink field to open a 3rd party app (grid in hand) to download data from a BT RFID scanner and then return to Fulcrum. We too are trying to merge our Fulcrum records with the downloaded
    RFID scans. We have automated a lot of this but it would definitely be advantageous to have all of this working within Fulcrum.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Alex Helms on 14 Sep, 2016 12:07 PM

Thanks a lot for providing this feedback to us. I will be sure to share this with the development team.

3. 3 Posted by Rob on 14 Sep, 2016 03:26 PM

Thanks, Alex

We're actually the Canadian distributor of the Bluetooth enabled device in question and have sold over 100 units to municipal clients. The problem with the device is that there isn't any Android or iOS software that goes along with it. We can pair the device, and we know that the device is transmitting data and we also know the format of the data that is transmitted.

However, if Fulcrum were able to collect inputs from a text string transmitted form a bluetooth device, it would be a game changer. We would definitely recommend fulcrum for use to all our clients if this functionality existed - and I'm sure a lot would use it.

If you do choose to implement such a feature in the future, we would be happy to work with you and provide our user stories and aid in development and testing. We extensively collect data with 3rd party devices and to have the ability to live input their data into fulcrum would be solve a real problem for us.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Alex Helms on 14 Sep, 2016 03:48 PM

Awesome! Thanks a lot for including this additional information. I will be sure to share this with the team as well.

5. 5 Posted by Rob on 14 Sep, 2016 06:53 PM

Thanks, Alex.

I just had a thought... Would you be able to ask your development team (or Data Event Whizzes) if it is possible to add a data event to record data received from a paired Bluetooth device that transmits data via Serial Port Profile (SPP)?

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac