This site has been archived. Please visit help.fulcrumapp.com for our new support documentation and contact information.

"Lookup" Function

koos.uys

09 Jun, 2016 03:43 AM

Scenario:

I need to survey a building. Lets say for example light fittings.

One will typically find hundreds of the exact same fitting in a building.

I now make a repeatable section where I enter data of all the fitting types and I give each fitting a name or a number.

When I now go to a room, I would like a field with a drop down list that lookup the values of the "names" field of the light fittings and show them so that I can select one. That way, finger trouble is vastly reduced.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Alex Helms on 09 Jun, 2016 01:06 PM

Hello,

I know you we were talking about record linking in another thread, and had determined that it did not meet your needs, but I think what you are looking to do would be possible with record linking.

Adding a record link field inside the repeatable that is capturing the light fitting information should allow you to select the light information stored in the lookup app. All the fitting information could be stored in the lookup app, then when you encounter a light in the light room you can use the record link field within the repeatable to populate the fields with the fitting information.

Another possible option would be to use the default to last value option. This should populate the fields with the last value entered into them on that device.

Thanks,
    Alex

2. 2 Posted by koos.uys on 09 Jun, 2016 04:56 PM

Alex,

I personally think this function needs a lot more work. Basically is it only useful if what ever fields you want to reference to is in a separate little app with only those fields in it.

Populating the same data over and over is not quite the way to go lean.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Alex Helms on 09 Jun, 2016 05:37 PM

Thanks a lot for your feedback.

4. 4 Posted by Bryan McBride on 09 Jun, 2016 06:23 PM

You don't have to auto populate data with record linking... When you link a record, the record link field contains the ID of the linked record, so you can query out whatever you want without duplicating any data.

5. 5 Posted by koos.uys on 10 Jun, 2016 02:49 AM

Bryan,

I am aware that populating data is not mandatory, but now you have to do it between two different apps. so essentially if you want it to function as one someone needs to combine the data sets.

The practical implications of the way it is set up are the following:

1. I have many users collaborating and entering data on the same app at the same time.

2. If any of them needs to add a light fitting or what ever other common system data, they need to leave the main app and go to another app. In our case, There will be an secondary app for light fittings, an app for HVAC split units, one for furniture, one for windows, one for wall types - all items that has to be generated on site... So now I need to support my main app with 10 secondary apps?!

3. When a light fitting or what ever other common equipment is entered, it is not specific to a group of buildings. When the users gets to another site, the drop down list is contaminated with items that is not applicable to this set of buildings. Select the wrong one and you get GIGO.

4. And then someone afterwards still manually has to combine the data sets.

Fulcrum is a great app, and I am a paid user since November 2014. I built the apps myself and I need to manage them. I am concerned about data integrity and I also need to make sure I have a slick user interface that works for non-trained people. It needs to be intuitive.

My apps are rather large too.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac