This site has been archived. Please visit help.fulcrumapp.com for our new support documentation and contact information.

Required Field Warning too vague!

koos.uys

26 Feb, 2015 08:10 AM

The required filed warning gives us many problems.

We have a rather large data set with many field and it is easy to miss one.

When the app gives a warning that the record cannot be saved, it is often extremely difficult to find the field.

Can't die app go to the fields one by one?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Alex Helms on 26 Feb, 2015 02:21 PM

Hello,

Thanks a lot for sharing this with us. This is something that we do hope to enhance in the future. We have a few ideas that could help field users find the fields, but if you wouldn't mind sharing how you would like to see this addressed, we would love to hear it.

Thanks,
    Alex

2. 2 Posted by koos.uys on 27 Feb, 2015 08:16 AM

Hi Alex,

My suggestion is that as you make that yellow flag in the top level of a record to show it is saved as draft, that yellow flag needs to drill all the way down the entire tree to the fields that prevents the record from being saved.

This is a major headache for end users who are not as educated on the design of the applications. Even me have difficulty to figure it out and I make our apps.

This should be high on your list of priorities please.

Regards,

Koos

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Alex Helms on 27 Feb, 2015 01:40 PM

Hello Koos,

Thanks for the suggestion, we were thinking of something similar. I will stress the importance of the enhancement to you to the development team.

Thanks,
    Alex

4. 4 Posted by Nev Palmer on 12 May, 2015 01:23 AM

I have also encountered this as a problem and have two suggestions for required fields.
    Firstly, they need to be identified more boldly than the current small red star. This is easy to miss, especially outside in bright sunlight. I suggest highlighting the entire required field with a contrasting colour, different from the standard fields.
    Secondly, in addition to the drill down flags mentioned previously, the highlighted fields could change colour or the highlighting removed once they are no longer incomplete. This would provide identification at a glance which fields still require completion.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Alex Helms on 12 May, 2015 11:12 AM

Hello,

Thanks a lot for the suggestions. I will pass this on to the development team.

Thanks,
    Alex

6. 6 Posted by koos.uys on 04 Mar, 2016 04:17 PM

Alex,

I was once again annoyed by the lack of reference to records with required fields that prevents saving it. One simply cannot drill down to the culprit

Could you oaks PLEASE get a fix for this? The current single yellow flag in the top level of the record set is useless.

Regards,

Koos

7. 7 Posted by koos.uys on 08 Jun, 2016 06:28 AM

No response. People, we are paying customers. We need support please.

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by Alex Helms on 08 Jun, 2016 02:16 PM

Hello,

This is still something that we are exploring the possibility of and that we would like to enhance one day, but at this time have no set timeline.

This is not something that is deemed a bug with Fulcrum, but a feature enhancement request. As with all feedback that we receive, it is logged internally and then used to help steer the development road map by management.

I will add a note to the internal document stressing the importance of this request to you.

Thanks,
    Alex

9. Support Staff 9 Posted by Alex Helms on 08 Jun, 2016 05:47 PM

Hello,

One of our team members has made this example that can be used in data events.

I know that this is not specifically what you are requesting, but you might find that this can be used to better indicate which child record has a missing value.

Thanks,
    Alex

10. 10 Posted by koos.uys on 10 Jun, 2016 03:40 AM

Right, so that script has to be done field by field.

No thanks. With over a 100 fieIds in my app that needs to be validated this way I don't think this will fly.

But honestly, what is so hard bout it? If the flag can be shown in the top level while the record that triggers it is on the bottom level, why can the flag not show on intermediate levels?

11. Support Staff 11 Posted by Alex Helms on 10 Jun, 2016 01:12 PM

Can you give me more information on what you mean by levels? Are these sections or repeatable sections. We did change the way child records are saved, so now validation is run and reported when you try to save a new child record.

I am not a decision maker for our development roadmap or a developer and cannot comment on how difficult this would be to develop. I do know that difficulty is not the only factor that the team looks at when deciding on our develop roadmap.

12. 12 Posted by koos.uys on 11 Jun, 2016 09:18 AM

Both sections and repeatable sections.

So, let say you are on the home page where the records are displayed and one shows the yellow flag.

You then enter that record and under that there are a few sections which can contain field or repeatables, but in one of them is a required field that needs to be filled before the record can be saved.

All you need now, is another yellow flag at the section (which may have even sub sections) so that you know down which branch the field is that needs to be filled.

Enter the section, then perhaps a repeatable and you simply follow the yellow flag down to the field that needs to be filled for the record to be saved.

If you have a large app with many fields and records and an end user for what ever reason saved a draft, believe me it can become quite impossible to find the culprit - to the extend that I had to remove the requirement for a field at one stage in order to get his data uploaded.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac