This site has been archived. Please visit help.fulcrumapp.com for our new support documentation and contact information.

Tally Counts

Melanie Smith

01 Oct, 2014 12:34 AM

Hi,

just wondering if it would be possible to create a 'tally' field. We have an activity where we count the number of turtles entering and exiting a beach every hour. it would be great to be able to have the form open over the survey period and just add a 'strike' to a field that would add up the total 'strikes' automatically.

Cheers,
Mel.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Alex Helms on 01 Oct, 2014 12:20 PM

Hello Mel,

Thanks a lot for the suggestion. I do not think we have had this requested before, but it is certainly a possibility. I will share your feedback with development team.

Thanks,
    Alex

2. 2 Posted by Samantha on 09 Jun, 2015 08:00 PM

We are also interested in having a tally option, especially one that can have a time stamp for each tally. We would like to count in a quick manner, so pressing 'save' after each entry is not possible. Is this possible through any of the options on Fulcrum?

Thanks,
    Samantha

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Alex Helms on 09 Jun, 2015 08:11 PM

Hello Samantha,

You could try to do this using a repeatable section, but it may not be quick enough for your needs.

I can share your interest in adding the timestamp information to the tally field.

Thanks,
    Alex

4. 4 Posted by Ryan on 10 Jun, 2015 03:25 PM

I also have several surveys where having a tally field suggested above would be essential. Looking forward to seeing this get developed.

Thanks,
    Ryan

5. 5 Posted by gjeffers on 07 Jul, 2015 05:19 PM

I would like to see this as well. We've had a couple instances with field users sorting to paper to take a tally over time as well. Simple +/- buttons on a number field would be great!

6. 6 Posted by Kristin Rogers on 26 Apr, 2016 02:26 PM

I know of at least 3 applications that could start using Fulcrum if a tally count option were available. There are likely many more in our agency that would benefit from this as well, as most of our biological field survey work involves counting individuals organisms. ArcGIS Collector does not have this option, so by adding this option it would be another way to help differentiate your software. We often compare the two to make the best choice for our field applications. We have a custom app for tallying alligator sightings by size. We have a field name with a number box and tally buttons to the right + 1, -1, +5, -5, this works very well for our needs, particularly when rapid counting is going on, someone can say plus 10 hatchlings and the recorder would just click the +5 button 2x next to the hatchling data field. Just the Tallys would be great to start with, later on it might be nice to add Geocoding and TimeStamps to help with post-processing the data, but the Tallys would be just fine to start with. Any organization collecting scientific data will want to field option.

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Alex Helms on 26 Apr, 2016 02:31 PM

Thanks a lot for sharing your feedback with us. I will be sure to add your voice to the list.

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by Alex Helms on 27 Apr, 2016 04:15 PM

Hello Everyone,

So we have a few ways to get tally funcationality inside Fulcrum.

The first option is to use a calculation field that returns the length of a string in a text field. This will allow someone to simply tap a key into the referenced text field and the calculation field will return the total number of elements in the string.

The second option will be using a new feature that should be released soon, but the result should be more elegant option to the calculation option. The feature is called data events and you can see more on this here. Data events will work similarly to the calculation field but at the record level. In this example we are using 2 hyperlink fields to increase or decrease the tally count by 5.

Hopefully, this will assist users that are interested in this funcationality.

9. Support Staff 9 Posted by Alex Helms on 09 May, 2016 08:01 PM

Hello Everyone,

We have put together a sample code on how to create tally counter funcationality with data events here: http://developer.fulcrumapp.com/data-events/examples/tally-counter/

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac