This site has been archived. Please visit help.fulcrumapp.com for our new support documentation and contact information.

nmea string

waiotahi

04 Oct, 2016 10:12 PM

Looking at the possibility of pulling an NMEA string into Fulcrum. I am wanting to auto populate a field with depth ($SDDBT) much like how GPS is captured (and i assume Fulcrum is parsing an NMEA string) in Fulcrum. Typically these NMEA streams are fed into applications through a serial port or BT using virtual serial port - I know these options aren't possible with Fulcrum but there are WiFi multiplexers available that stream NMEA data via WiFi (typically configured as a wireless access point) - is this an option?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Alex Helms on 05 Oct, 2016 02:52 PM

I am sorry, this is not something that is currently possible with Fulcrum.

Fulcrum obtains the GPS data from the device and, from my understanding, in order to obtain any NMEA data we would need to directly support the unit being used.

2. 2 Posted by waiotahi on 05 Oct, 2016 08:46 PM

Thanks for the reply - although I don't agree that you would need to directly support every type of unit. NMEA is electrical & data specification which most manufacturers comply to and that includes most GPS receivers. Anyway, I'm just putting it out there as there are Fulcrum users who would welcome this functionality. Thanks again

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Alex Helms on 06 Oct, 2016 12:01 PM

Thanks a lot for the added information. I will be sure to share this with the development team! I agree with you that Fulcrum users would welcome this functionality.

4. 4 Posted by Chris on 07 Oct, 2016 04:02 PM

Hi,

Hoping you can answer questions about your software/app. I work for parks canada and the tablets we are using (apple ipad air 2 with air card) are not supported on our network. accessing the cloud hopefully is not a problem but if it is can we obtain the data we collect in the field another way such as an email to ourselves with the attached report?

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Alex Helms on 07 Oct, 2016 04:32 PM

Hello Chris,

The data that is stored in the Fulcrum mobile app has to be synced through either a Wifi or cellular network. There is no way to obtain the data stored in the Fulcrum mobile app in a format that can easily be imported into your Fulcrum plan.

Thanks,
    Alex

6. 6 Posted by christopher.str... on 07 Oct, 2016 05:29 PM

We will have cellular service with our ipads. My question is that if there are issues using a cloud based‎ service with our network ( I am waiting to here from our it dept) can we generate a report on the iPad and email it to ourselves? I will not have the ability to sync to our system through WiFi.

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the Rogers network.

Sent: Friday, October 7, 2016 12:32 PM
        To: [email blocked]
        Subject: Re: nmea string [General Questions #7245]

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Alex Helms on 07 Oct, 2016 05:33 PM

No, the report generation happens server side. So you will not be able to generate a report and email it if the Fulcrum mobile app is not able to connect to our server.

8. 8 Posted by christopher.str... on 07 Oct, 2016 05:36 PM

Sorry if i'm not getting this. We can connect to your server with the ipad
    but we may not be able to with our desk top. We can't connect our tablet
    to our own network (not supported by IT).
    Chris Strand
    Environmental Assessment Officer | Agent de l'évaluation environnementale
    Ontario Waterways Project Delivery | Livraison des projects, voies
    navigables
    Strategy and Plans Directorate | Direction générale des stratégies et
    plans
    Parks Canada | Parcs Canada
    P.O. Box 567, 2155 Ashburnham Drive | C.P. 567, 2155 promenade Ashburnham
    Peterborough, ON K9J 6Z6 | Peterborough, ON K9J 6Z6
    Government of Canada | Gouvernement du Canada

e-mail [email blocked]
    Telephone: 705 750-4843
    cell: 1705 761-2390

9. Support Staff 9 Posted by Alex Helms on 07 Oct, 2016 05:51 PM

Ah sorry, I think the confusion was on my end.

If your iPads have cellular service then you will be able to generate a report of a record and email it to yourselves.

10. 10 Posted by christopher.str... on 07 Oct, 2016 06:32 PM

Perfect, thanks for the help.
    Chris Strand
    Environmental Assessment Officer | Agent de l'évaluation environnementale
    Ontario Waterways Project Delivery | Livraison des projects, voies
    navigables
    Strategy and Plans Directorate | Direction générale des stratégies et
    plans
    Parks Canada | Parcs Canada
    P.O. Box 567, 2155 Ashburnham Drive | C.P. 567, 2155 promenade Ashburnham
    Peterborough, ON K9J 6Z6 | Peterborough, ON K9J 6Z6
    Government of Canada | Gouvernement du Canada

e-mail [email blocked]
    Telephone: 705 750-4843
    cell: 1705 761-2390

11. 11 Posted by robbysee on 04 Nov, 2016 05:36 PM

This is a reply to the OP (original poster) waiotahi.

We've figured out a workaround to connect our SPP (serial port protocol) bluetooth device to an android tablet and get that string into Fulcrum.

We use an app called "SerialMagic Gears" which is available to download for free in the app store. This app allows you capture the string transmitted from the SPP device and convert it to a HID (human interface device) input via SerialMagic Keys (the app's integrated keyboard - which you must set as your default keyboard in your system settings).

We create a text field in Fulcrum, where we capture the string from the bluetooth device and then use calculations fields to parse the specific data we need from the string (i.e. an X,Y/Long,Lat).

There's no way to overwrite the GPS data that fulcrum collects, but this is a workaround to capture the data you need from your SPP bluetooth device.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac