This site has been archived. Please visit help.fulcrumapp.com for our new support documentation and contact information.

App functionality with a specific workflow.

Bailey Glassford

06 Sep, 2016 05:03 PM

Hi, my name is Bailey, and I have a question about the functionality of your GPS collection app. We are looking to make the switch from a Trimble receiver to an EOS Arrow brand receiver, and your app has come up as one that could be a replacement for terraflex, which we will probably need to replace with a new app as we buy a new receiver (our research indicates that Trimble doesn't play nicely with other receivers). We are looking for functionality with a fairly specific workflow that we use terraflex for now. Essentially, we want the ability to upload sewer and water utility structures from ArcMAP to the cloud for field collection from a geodatabase, and seamless integration back into the previous database as opposed to making use of an entirely new geodatabase, without having duplicate fields (which is why collector doesn't work for us). This is the most essential functionality for us, and to be honest, everything else is a bit of a "bell and whistle" for us. Would this workflow be supported by your app? Thanks!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Alex Helms on 06 Sep, 2016 05:55 PM

Hello Bailey,

Thanks a lot for reach out. I want to get you to the right person. We have an account manager specifically for Enterprise accounts. Do you think it would make sense to talk to her?

Out of the box, Fulcrum does not directly integration with ArcMAP, but what you are trying to do should be possible leveraging our API to create a two-way link between ArcMAP's and Fulcrum's databases. You would not need to create or duplicate fields to get this to work. We also have an integration team that can be leveraged if you need assistance with this.

Thanks,
    Alex

2. 2 Posted by Bailey Glassfor... on 06 Sep, 2016 06:29 PM

Hi Alex,

Thanks for getting back to me. I tried to respond a few minutes ago, but for some reason I'm not sure why it didn't post. Anyway, I'm not sure about whether or not an Enterprise rep is best or not. Essentially, we will probably only have a few users, so we were thinking that the professional license with a few users would be best for us as we would save a lot of money that way. If then enterprise option is the only solution to our workflow, we would perhaps be willing to consider it, but it a bit more than we were looking to pay.

I think that the integration team might be the best bet, as it seems like these sorts of issues are their job. The API option might work for us, though we would need some more information on what it entails. Hopefully an integration rep could answer that question?

Thanks!

Bailey

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Alex Helms on 06 Sep, 2016 06:50 PM

Hello Bailey,

The professional plan should give you access to all the features that you will need for the workflow. Enterprise users are typically on the professional plan and the differences are more about the number of users, additional support, more media storage, or onboarding services that can be included.

One of the team members of the integrations team will reply as soon as they have some time.

Thanks,
    Alex

4. 4 Posted by Bailey Glassfor... on 06 Sep, 2016 06:51 PM

Great, thanks for the assistance!

Bailey

5. 5 Posted by Bryan McBride on 06 Sep, 2016 07:47 PM

Hi Bailey,

I manage our Integration Services team. I'm not sure exactly what type of utility structures you are managing, but did want to make you aware that Fulcrum currently only supports point geometries. If you are looking to maintain / digitize line or polygon GIS features, Fulcrum probably isn't the best solution. That being said, we work with plenty of utilities who use Fulcrum to manage their assets in the field. I don't know if you've had a chance to sign up for a trial yet, but would definitely recommend taking a little time to kick the tires and see if the platform will work for your needs. If so, we can discuss potential integration options with your existing geodatabase.

My initial thought would be to put together a syncing script that fetches data from Fulcrum and updates your gdb, based on timestamps when the Fulcrum records were created or updated.

Best regards,
    BRYAN

6. 6 Posted by Bailey on 12 Sep, 2016 07:31 PM

Hi Bryan,

Sorry for the late reply, I was away at a GIS conference.

That sounds like it could potentially work, we work with sewer, stormwater and water utilities, and really only update point features in the field. I suppose it would, however be nice to be able to have that ability if we begin to do different kinds of work. Do you know out of curiosity if there is any plan for Fulcrum to develop line and polygon capabilities in the future?

Also, would there be an additional fee for our company to utilize this scripting solution that you mentioned beyond the license cost? If so, do you have any idea/estimate what this would cost?

Thanks!

Bailey

7. 7 Posted by Bryan McBride on 14 Sep, 2016 02:01 PM

Hi Bailey,

Supporting vector geometries has been on our radar for a while, but it's not a super high priority so I can't speak to if and/or when that might actually happen. If you are on a Standard or Professional plan, you have access to Data Shares & the Developer API, so you could certainly script your own synchronization solution, otherwise, our Integration Services Team would be happy to go over the particulars and put together an estimate to build this for you.

Bryan

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac