This site has been archived. Please visit help.fulcrumapp.com for our new support documentation and contact information.

Collect data - line and polygon

Lene Fischer

06 Apr, 2015 09:41 AM

Hi
Just signed up for the app - looks great - but I can´t find a way to collect lines or polygons... And I´m working in forestry - so this is a "must" for collecting data. PLease help.
Regards
Lene Fischer

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Alex Helms on 06 Apr, 2015 12:18 PM

Hello Lane,

Thanks for reaching out to us. Fulcrum does not currently support line and polygon capture yet. This is something we are exploring and hope to add one day. If you have any feedback on how you think line and polygon capture should work we would love to hear it.

One possible work around would be to use a repeatable section to create multiple points associated with a single record. Afterwards the data can be pulled into a GIS application and be used to create the lines and polygons.

Thanks,
    Alex

2. 2 Posted by Lene Fischer on 06 Apr, 2015 03:39 PM

Hi Alex,
    Sorry – I can of course use your workaround – but normal endusers can´t. It is like buying a car with only 3 wheels. They are used to Garmin or Trimble both with point, line and area. Now they want to use apps on the cell phone.

Regards

Lene Fischer
    Associate Professor

Department of Geosciences and Natural Resource Management
    University of Copenhagen

MOB +45 40115084
    [email blocked]<mailto:[email blocked]>

[cid:[email blocked]]

Fra: Alex Helms [mailto:[email blocked]]
    Sendt: 6. april 2015 14:18
    Til: Lene Fischer
    Emne: Re: Collect data - line and polygon [General Questions #5042]

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Alex Helms on 05 Jun, 2015 12:49 PM

Hello Christian,

At this time I can not provide any sort of timeline information on when line and polygon support will be coming to Fulcrum.

I can say that at the moment we have a lot of other features in the roadmap that are ahead of this functionality. While it would be great to have, we have not seen enough demand for line and polygon support to warrant pushing this very complex feature to the front of the roadmap.

Thanks,
    Alex

4. 4 Posted by Vern on 30 Mar, 2016 02:48 AM

I don't necessarily need to make lines in your app. I would like to import a shapefile with lines, and then update the data using the forms.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Alex Helms on 30 Mar, 2016 12:05 PM

Thanks a lot for your feedback! I will share this with the team.

One possible workaround for this use case is to add a MBTiles layer to your Fulcrum plan. This would allow the team to see the line/polygon that the point data (records) represents in Fulcrum.

The reason I suggest a MBTiles layer over the others is that it will work offline and is supported on the Fulcrum mobile apps.

6. 6 Posted by Nick Goddard on 08 Apr, 2016 10:33 AM

We too would be very interested in and use on a daily basis a polygon tool.

A thought on how it could work:
    The apps current positioning method would need a single point or polygon tool for you to select and then the coding for the app could surely collect the co-ords for each point of the polygon.

This data, even multiple points could populate the same Geometry data field but instead of POINT it could have POLY and then a string of co-ords.

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Alex Helms on 08 Apr, 2016 12:16 PM

Thanks a lot for providing us with this feedback!

8. 8 Posted by Kate Jeffreys on 11 Apr, 2016 05:44 PM

I echo the call please for support for linear features and polygons.

9. Support Staff 9 Posted by Alex Helms on 11 Apr, 2016 06:43 PM

Thanks for sharing your support for this funcationality.

10. 10 Posted by sam.arthur on 12 Apr, 2016 02:13 PM

Hi Alex,

i have discussed the idea of polygons and lines on a number of occasions and have been told a few times that this is being worked on.

http://support.fulcrumapp.com/discussions/questions/5828-type-of-fe...

http://support.fulcrumapp.com/discussions/questions/1898-environmen...

if fulcrum were able to support polygons i'm sure that the market for this facility would be huge! i regularly search the play store for a product that is capable of this
    and i am yet to find any workable options.

cheers

sam

11. Support Staff 11 Posted by Alex Helms on 12 Apr, 2016 02:41 PM

Hello Sam,

Thanks a lot for sharing this additional feedback.

Your first link appear to echo what I have stated here. The second link contains a response from our VP and was written before we had a better understanding of what it would take to be developed. As a result of this, for now, line and polygon support is a feature that we would love to add at some point, but for now remains towards the back of our roadmap.

One of the reasons that you have not be able to find a product capable of this is that to be done correctly (at least how we envision it operating) it is extremely resource intensive to produce.

Thanks,
    Alex

12. 12 Posted by sam.arthur on 12 Apr, 2016 04:26 PM

That sounds great Christian,

I'll be emailing you shortly.

13. 13 Posted by alyssa on 19 Jul, 2016 12:53 AM

Just adding my "two-bits" here! I also have users who have been used to GPS data collectors that allow line and polygon data collection. The workaround for adding "vertices" in a repeatable field may work, but it is far from ideal, as the user cannot see the other vertices when creating a new one, and can't see the finished line/polygon feature on the map (until it can be exported, imported into the GIS and the points connected into a line or polygon). Essentially, the programs I have worked with before (which include, by the way, CartoPac) allow entry of attribute data, which is linked to a feature that can be recorded either by setting a time limit (e.g.. a point is taken every 30 seconds) or a distance limit (e.g. a point is taken whenever you move more than 1m), or a combination of the two; or, the user can manually add vertices to the line/polygon feature. I hope this feedback is helpful and would be happy to answer any other questions about how we might use/implement a line/polygon functionality if added to Fulcrum in the future.

14. Support Staff 14 Posted by Alex Helms on 19 Jul, 2016 11:56 AM

Thanks a lot for taking the time to share your feedback with us!

15. 15 Posted by WeedMapper on 14 Dec, 2016 05:35 PM

Not being able to collect polygon data is a deal breaker for me, I collect weed infestation data and need them to be polygons. This app looks amazing, but having to build each polygon back at the office is onerous and time consuming.

I'd wager a lot of folks dismissed Fulcrum out of hand for this very reason. I would have too, had it not been for seeing it working first hand. Still, we can't really justify a productivity app that collects great tabular, but mediocre spatial data in the field.

16. Support Staff 16 Posted by Alex Helms on 14 Dec, 2016 06:19 PM

Thanks a lot for your feedback!

17. 17 Posted by Kate Jeffreys on 14 Dec, 2016 06:29 PM

Just to reinforce... we're now investing in alternatives to Fulcrum due to
    the inability to collect polygon data.

The kind of polygon interactivity we need is shown in this app. (note - I
    have no personal involvement in this app).
    http://bms.brookes.ac.uk/ceec/hp1toolkit

It would be really good if fulcrum did polygons.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac