This site has been archived. Please visit help.fulcrumapp.com for our new support documentation and contact information.

Fulcrum Photo URLS and Carto

Andrew Greene

15 Nov, 2016 03:59 PM

Carto will not take the Fulcrum-generated URL from the datashare file, but instead displays "Non-valid Picture URL."
I thought these were public URLs, but they do not seem to work in a Carto pop-up. I am using the photo_url field from the geoJSON datashare file. Is there something I should be doing differently?
Thanks!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Alex Helms on 15 Nov, 2016 04:07 PM

Hello Andrew,

The photo URL in a data share URL is not to the raw photo, but rather to the page that the photo(s) for photo field can be found at.

I am going to reach out to the development team about this and see if there is any workaround for this.

Thanks,
    Alex

2. 2 Posted by Andrew Greene on 15 Nov, 2016 04:43 PM

Thanks so much! That would be a great help!
    Best,
    Andrew

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Alex Helms on 15 Nov, 2016 04:53 PM

Hello Andrew,

What you can do is add a calculation field to your app that has code similar to what is below:

SETRESULT('https://web.fulcrumapp.com/shares/{data-share-id}/photos/' + $my_photos[0].photo_id + '/thumbnail.jpg')

The code above will pull the photo id from the first photo in the photo field called 'my_photos' and then create a URL to that photo.

The code in the calculation field only runs when a record is opened in a record editor. So all the records would need to be opened and saved in Fulcrum to populate the calculation field with a URL that will work in CARTO.

Thanks,
    Alex

4. 4 Posted by Andrew Greene on 15 Nov, 2016 06:11 PM

Thanks so much for this! I will give it a try.
    Best,
    Andrew

5. 5 Posted by Andrew Greene on 16 Nov, 2016 03:53 PM

Thank you so much, this calculation field worked well! Much appreciated!
    Sorry, but one last question I had was can this field be hidden on the survey app and still visible in the data share file?

Thanks,
    Andrew

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Alex Helms on 16 Nov, 2016 04:15 PM

There is an option in the field settings for the calculation field that will allow you to set the field to be hidden. When a field is hidden it is not visible through the Fulcrum UI but is still contained in the export data and the data share URL.

I attached an image that shows you where this is.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac