This site has been archived. Please visit help.fulcrumapp.com for our new support documentation and contact information.

Require project field

nj.jstewart

19 Jun, 2016 09:29 PM

Is there a way to require the selection of a project? This our main way of segmenting access to different groups of data and it is a real problem to have records be able to go into a no project zone, which affects reporting, filtering, exporting etc.

Thanks!

Jordan Stewart

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Alex Helms on 20 Jun, 2016 12:43 PM

Hello Jordan,

There is no way to make a project field required at the moment and this is something that we are looking into.

One possible workaround is to use a data event to pull the value in the project field into a text field that is set to be read-only and required. This way they will only be able to save the record as a draft unless the record has been tagged with a project.

Let me know if you need any help setting this up and I can provide some sample code for you.

Thanks,
    Alex

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Alex Helms on 20 Jun, 2016 02:35 PM

Hello Jordan,

You actually do not need to do the workaround that I described above and can just add this data event.

ON('validate-record', function (event) {
      if(!PROJECTNAME()) {
          INVALID('Please select a project before saving!');
      }
    })

This adds validation to the project field and will return the text in the INVALID() expression if there is no value in the project field.

Thanks,
    Alex

3. 3 Posted by nj.jstewart on 20 Jun, 2016 02:46 PM

That is perfect! Thank you very much Alex. I will be implementing this right away.

Jordan Stewart

4. nj.jstewart closed this discussion on 20 Jun, 2016 02:51 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac