This site has been archived. Please visit help.fulcrumapp.com for our new support documentation and contact information.

Fulcrum Appears to Override EXIF Info on iPhone 6s

gkelley

11 Mar, 2016 02:34 PM

Good morning,

The photos our field collectors are capturing using the Fulcrum iOS app on iPhone 6s phones are coming into Fulcrum's central/cloud repository with a camera Model of "iPhone 8,1", rather than the correct "iPhone 6s". This has downstream effects for our business process, as our engineering software that consumes these photos assumes a certain aspect ratio and resolution based on the camera's EXIF Model value. In the attached photo, a Fulcrum-acquired image is on the right and photo taken natively on an iPhone 6s is on the right. Please advise.

Thanks,
Gavin Kelley

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Alex Helms on 11 Mar, 2016 03:25 PM

Hello Gavin,

The reason that it is like this is that is actually what is provided to us from the device when we ask for the model information. In order to populate the field with the marketing name for the device we would have to maintain a reference list to convert the model information, which could result in being inaccurate for a period of time when a new device is released. The development team is going to take a look at this.

What engineering software are you using?

Thanks,
    Alex

2. 2 Posted by gkelley on 11 Mar, 2016 04:00 PM

Hi Alex,

We’re using Osmose O-Calc. If iPhone-acquired images pulled from the device have an EXIF model of ‘iPhone 6s’, I would expect that the iPhone would present the same model when asked by an app, but I must be incorrect. Also, I would submit that this appears to be an Apple-only issue, as Fulcrum correctly displays the marketing name for Android phones in this EXIF field (from our limited testing). If this is the case, that would greatly shrink the size of the proposed reference list, as it would only need to contain Apple devices.

I look forward to future discussion on this issue.

Thanks so much,
    Gavin

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Alex Helms on 11 Mar, 2016 04:17 PM

Hello Gavin,

Thanks a lot for the added information.

You are correct, Android does behave differently than iOS. The photo app in Android actually populates all the EXIF data. Thankfully Android does this since having to maintain a Android reference list might actually be impossible to sustain.

In iOS we discovered that a lot of the EXIF data was not provided when accessing the camera app though Fulcrum, so the Fulcrum app has to populate the EXIF data.

It does look like the iOS team will be able to add a reference list to change the model information to the marketing name.

Thanks,
    Alex

4. 4 Posted by gkelley on 11 Mar, 2016 05:50 PM

Hi Alex,

Thanks so much for considering this modification – as we ramp up to having a dozen full-time O-Calc pole loading engineers on staff, the time savings from this one feature will deliver a definite operating cost savings each day that we continue to use Fulcrum.

In 12 years of working in SMB IT, I have _never_ come across a software vendor that I actually enjoy working with until discovering Fulcrum Mobile Solutions. Not only is your product competitively-priced, feature-rich and broadly-compatible across all modern devices, but your service after the sale is absolutely first class. I will continue to tell everyone who will listen (except our competitors, naturally) that your company and your product are without equal in the marketplace.

Thanks,
    Gavin Kelley

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Alex Helms on 11 Mar, 2016 06:20 PM

Hello Gavin,

Thanks a lot for the kind words! I will be sure to share this with the team.

Thanks,
    Alex

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Alex Helms on 04 Aug, 2016 02:30 PM

Hello Gavin,

Sorry that this update was not sooner, but got some good news for you. The next Fulcrum for iOS update (2.12.0) will change the device information to the marketing name for the device being used.

Thanks,
    Alex

7. 7 Posted by gkelley on 04 Aug, 2016 02:30 PM

I am currently Out of Office through Friday, 8/7. I will respond to your emails as soon as I return. Thanks.

8. 8 Posted by gkelley on 04 Aug, 2016 07:22 PM

Top notch! We’re really glad that you remembered to follow-up with us, as well.

Have a great rest of the day,
    Gavin

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac