This site has been archived. Please visit help.fulcrumapp.com for our new support documentation and contact information.

Automatically selecting a linked record answer?

wdo

05 Dec, 2016 08:31 PM

Is it possible (using Data Event, presumably) to automatically select a particular linked record?

The overall goal is to return a bunch of data based on look-up tables without the user having to select answers. I can use the selection filters to narrow down the linked record choices, and the auto-populate to get the specific values I want, but I can't figure out how to automatically select a (the first and only) available linked record.

I saw in the Data Events documentation that SETVALUE can be used with a record links field like so:
// Sets the value of a record link field SETVALUE('record_link_field', ['fulcrum_id_1', 'fulcrum_id_2']);

However, I'm not sure what 'fulcrum_id_1' and 'fulcrum_id_2' mean in this context, or how I would first get a list of available options.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Alex Helms on 05 Dec, 2016 08:44 PM

The data events do not have any way to see the filtered list of records. So there would be no way to automatically select a choice option from the list in a data event.

The fulcrum_id that you are referencing is the record id for a record. This value is contained in the first column of the export data and is also in the URL when you open the record in Fulcrum (not the quick viewer).

With this said, you may be able to leverage the API to do this, but it would take some work getting setup and you would need to have a network connection for it to work in the field. If you need help with this, the integration team will be able to help you out.

2. 2 Posted by wdo on 05 Dec, 2016 08:51 PM

Thank you for the quick response.

Since you mentioned "filtered list of records", just on an off chance is it possible to get all the records in a data event (assuming no network connectivity)?

Could I accomplish my goal if I did my own filtering in code? (This question would be hidden from the user, regardless.)

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Alex Helms on 05 Dec, 2016 08:59 PM

It is not, the data event can not access this list.

You may be able to define the record ids that go with values inside the data event itself, but this might not be very practical and you could run into the code limit (~1200 lines) in a data event.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac