This site has been archived. Please visit help.fulcrumapp.com for our new support documentation and contact information.

adding a block of instructions

sean_cull

26 Jun, 2014 12:14 PM

Hi, I love your platform and am excited about using it to mobile enable a team of inspection engineers.

The Engineers need to inspect individual items of equipment from a pool of 10,000 such items.
Each item needs its on item specific method statement, these will be a paragraph of text. The users will be off-line
I plan to use the REST API to create the records for each inspector for the week - typically 50 per user.

I can see that I can probably push text into a field that is read only using the API.

What are the limitations of this field in terms of character length and formatting ? Some way to push in a block of mime text would be brilliant and I would imaging that it would be a useful feature for many organisations who are sending people out to work on equipment.

thanks, Sean

1. 1 Posted by sean_cull on 26 Jun, 2014 01:18 PM

Hi, I created a form and populated it from the device with a typical paragraph - it works well so presumably I can do the same via API.

Can you confirm any size constraints. Tks, Sean

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Alex Helms on 26 Jun, 2014 01:35 PM

Hello Sean,

There is no size constraints and you can do so through the API. I was wondering if you could give me more information on what type of formatting you would like to use. You can not use different formatting like text sizes, bold, and font.

Thanks,
    Alex

3. 3 Posted by sean_cull on 26 Jun, 2014 02:33 PM

Hi Alex,

ideally it would be in a format that allowed formatting , fonts, colours etc.. HTML or maybe mime. You could imagine how this could be quite powerful in terms of presenting bespoke instructions to the engineer in an engaging way.

Being able to include carriage returns will be enough for now.

The attached image show the kind of thing I was hoping for. I appreciate that you could use a series of read only fields but the flexibility of being able to add a block read only of formatted content without having to worry about the underlying data schema would be great

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Alex Helms on 26 Jun, 2014 02:48 PM

Hello Sean,

Thanks a lot for the feedback.

Another option that might work is the new Hyperlink field. You could have each set of instructions loaded on a file hosting site. Then populate the hyperlink field with the URL to the correct set of instructions for that individual record. Just a thought.

Thanks,
    Alex

5. 5 Posted by sean_cull on 26 Jun, 2014 02:58 PM

Thanks Alex but it needs to be off-line

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac